Today, I’d like to toast to the year that was and the year that will be. Please join me for a sip of that bubbly.
One year ago this very day, (Jan 5th) my freelance writing career took center stage. No more moonlighting. I wish I could tell you it happened solely by choice, or that I was completely ready, prepared or that I properly planned, but I cannot. In fact, sometimes we need to be pushed.
My troubled consulting firm downsized its ‘Wall Street’ consultants and after ten years of service (minus my yearlong travel sabbatical) I was let go. Released.
It became time to write a new chapter in my life and take on a new role. No more corporate chains or corporate comfort. Opportunity knocked. It became the time to fully realize my dream – travel writing.
And I did. The last year I traveled, wrote and focused on expanding my network. In the end I met loads of amazing fellow travelers and bloggers, I published stories from my travels in the US, Mexico, South America and Asia and in all created a new me. A better me; the real me.
Here is a small sample of some of those stories:
The new year.
Now that I tasted this once thought to be forbidden fruit, I must continue forward. Mystic teaching reminds us that once you reach enlightenment you can’t go back and in fact you feel a need to take action. I am not sure I reached any such nirvana, but I am passionate about my new career and ready to take more action in my second year fulltime. And with my anniversary so close to the new year it seemed appropriate to make my travel writing goals along my New Year resolutions.
So I expressed much delight when Briefcase to Backpack (present day: Meet, Plan, Go) asked me to post my travel resolutions along with fellow travel bloggers. As a fellow “career breaker” (I took off nearly a year in 2004-05 to travel) so it seemed a perfect place.
My goals remain posted on briefcase to backpack with other travelers and summarized below.
- Start my new personal travel blog (done) and website titled – stayadventurous
- Continue to freelance write for travel related blogs
- Travel to 1 new continent; 2 new countries; and at least 1 new US state
- Get published in print for a major travel magazine (before they all disappear)
- Publish a novel I write or ghost write
- Expand my photography portfolio and publish a photo for $ (not just credit)
- Secure other revenue sources related to travel such as: assisting Indie travel magazines, overseas freelance consulting projects, or even some tour guide – teaching travel related work.
- And of course…Encourage others to ’stay adventurous’ in mind, body and spirit. To inspire them to take and make adventure in their life
Tonight I toast and taste the cava; tomorrow I start year two. Travel. Writing. And Adventure all await.