Today I celebrate two years of freelance, or as I see it, two years of freedom. This January 5th marks two years since my last day employed in the corporate world.
When I reflect back on the two years, I smile. And it’s a big smile.
So now looking forward just like last year with my January Anniversary (2010) post, I decided to publish my goals for the new year. Well, here goes ….
- Visit a New US State and a New Country. Last year, I visited new countries and a new continent (Africa). This year its a new country and new state.
- Explore New York City. It’s no secret I love New York City. However, I often find myself planning trips away from the city. This year, I want to plan a few trips inside the city (all five boroughs) and write about them too.
- Create that Bucket List. I know many folks have opinions on a “bucket list.” But I know there are places I want to see, experiences I want to have. I may not do everything, and that’s more than ok. I just want to make a list and start ticking at least one off each year.
The Stay Adventurous Site:
- Publish 150+ posts. I never set a “# of posts” goal in the first year of Stay Adventurous, but I published over 110 posts. That’s an average of just over 2 posts per week. This year, expect three.
- Monetize Stay Adventurous. Don’t worry I am not planning to sell out. Never. But you may see related advertisements and an occasional sponsored post. Also, expect my official product line to debut. Who doesn’t want a ‘stay adventurous’ T-shirt?
- Continue my Themes. After the success of Sunset Sunday, I decided to add themes in 2011. So this year you can expect Culture through Cuisine, a continued Winter Beach Thursday, more destination themes and the planned release of Stay Luxurious.
- Provide “Stay Adventurous” Tips. In many of my stories, I deliver a message in my words. A message designed to change the reader’s thinking. Well, this year, I will not just hint at them, but spell them out in specific tips.
Writing, Photography, Consulting. (Services)
- Work for a Fee, Not for Free. I am putting a value on my work. All my work. My writings, my consulting, and especially my photography. Last year I did not provide an abundant amounts of free work, but this year I don’t plan to do any. I don’t consider this political stance as much as a statement of, “I want to work with publications and people who value my work.”
- Published in a major Magazine. This didn’t happen last year, but I decided to carry the goal over to the new year. With “11” as my lucky number, this is the year.
- Use Existing Experiences. At times, I tend to focus on the next trip, the new adventure. This year, I plan to spend more time using what I already have. My travel knowledge, network, stories, and photographs.
Fun and Creativity.
- Support and Embrace the Arts. I’ve considered myself an artist ever since I decided to leave the corporate world for a more creative career. And this year, I plan to support other artists even more. Trips to museums, plays, art galleries, book readings, etc… I want to spend time in this creative world. It’s both comforting and inspiring.
Well that’s the plan. A bold year? Perhaps, but I’d like to consider it staying adventurous.
I wish you all a Happy New Year and want to share a toast (tequila flutes work for me) to all of our dreams for 2011. Hey, Eleanor Roosevelt eloquently told us, “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” I believe in mine, do you believe in yours?
stay adventurous, Craig